Sorry about missing a day of posting! I just had the wildest week at work and I needed some time to recover. Today has been my first day off in a while and I’m excited to finally clean, rest, and get my shit together!
There are a lot of reasons that someone might need a “get your shit together” day. You could me like me and you’ve just come off a crazy stretch at work where you haven’t been able to do anything but work and sleep! Stretches like this definitely will leave you worn out: probably with a ton of laundry and a completely worn out body and mind.
I’ve also taken a “get your shit together” day when I haven’t been doing what I need to be doing, and I need to get myself back on track. Its a ton easier to get yourself back on track when your house is clean, your tasks are all done, and your mind is clear. If you go down this list and do everything, I can guarantee that you’ll be fresh and ready to begin again with whatever it is that you need to do! It could be to start (or restart) that project you’ve been putting off, or just to be able to put in your all at work.
I promise you that you aren’t operating at your best unless your living area and mind are clear.
So, where do I start??
There are 5 basic steps to a “get your shit together” day. I recommend following this order!
- Go to bed early the night before and wake up at a reasonable time. Everyone has an ideal amount of sleep. Whether its 8 hours, 12 hours, or 4 hours, get that amount and try to be up around 7. Nothing makes you feel like you have your shit together more than being up at a good time and having the whole day ahead of you! Get out of bed when your alarm goes off and have a GOOD breakfast. I’m talking protein, carbs, maybe a fruit, and some water with your coffee.
- Clean your house: top to bottom. This includes but is not limited to:
- Do your laundry
- Do the dishes
- Clean up anything thats on the floor
- Wipe down counters, windows, and mirrors.
- Throw any stray trash away
- Make the beds
- Put all the stray shoes where they belong
- Dont stop until you feel good about your living space!! You should feel fresh, clean, and rejuvenated just by being in your house!
- Start knocking out the more subtle clutter and small to-do’s. This is things like responding to and/or deleting emails. Throwing away junk mail. Paying any bills that you’ve been putting off. Calling your mom like you’ve been meaning to. Deleting the crap off of your computer desktop. Get those groceries. Anything like this that has been nagging you but you’ve been too busy or lazy to get done, do them now as part of step 3.
- Treat yo’ self to something that makes you feel good! This can be different for everyone, but do something that makes you feel pampered and ready to tackle whatever is in front of you. You could do a face mask or paint your nails while watching something on netflix. It could be a bubble bath. You could journal for a bit if that makes you feel good. You could even just take a nap!! This is your chance to indulge in something that you may have been denying yourself for whatever reason! Getting it together definitely includes taking care of yourself.
- Do something that makes you feel like a boss. This is where we get down to business! Have you been putting off writing your blog? Do you need to do something for work that you’ve been dreading? Maybe you haven’t gotten the chance to exercise in a while. This is also a great chance to whip out the old planner or calendar and start making plans! Nothing gets your shit together like a planner, and I recommend that every boss finds one that works for them and uses it to its full potential. It will change your life. You’ve taken the time to take care of yourself and get ready to take on the world, so now is your chance to go after whatever it is! Once you get started I think you’ll find that you’re more ready to tackle the hard stuff because you’ve gotten distractions out of the way.
The Sky Is The Limit
Get your shit together days are crucial. Everyone needs one at one point or another to get rid of distractions and refocus on whats important. All of us get busy or lazy and dont get the chance to do the little things at some point or another.
Honestly, I try to do this at least once a week, and you should too!
Do you have “get your shit together” days?? What kinds of things do you include? Let me know in the comments!!
A “Get Your Shit Together” Day is a perfect time to start a new planner, or new organization system. Check out Mind Journaling, AKA my personal technique to handle the crazy.